My Hackintosh (Catalina) — 20 March, 2020
Since I started working on my new job, in which I was given a MacBook, I started to struggle when switching between computers with other operating systems, mostly because of different key shortcuts (looking at you IntelliJ). Also I enjoy using macOS, so I decided to replace my Linux distro for macOS on my home machine.
- Motherboard: MSI Bazooka H370M
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8400
- Disk (NVMe): Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB
- Graphics: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 NITRO+ 4GB OC
- Memory: 32GB 4x8GB Aegis DDR4-3000MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V
- PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600W 80 PLUS
The latest BIOS versions aren't working (at least for the installation). I get it to work with the version 7B24v10. You can dowload it here.
EFI folder with required drivers and kernel extensions. You can get it here.
Access to a device running macOS. If you don't have on you can install it in a virtual machine using Linux. More information here.
Unibeast for creating the flash drive. You can download it here.
How to proceed
Create a Bootable USB
- Download macOS Catalina from AppStore
- Format your USB drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using Disk Utility
- Create a UEFI bootable disk with Unibeast
- Replace the EFI folder with the one you downloaded.
Disconnect all unneded peripherals from the computer
This included external disks, other flashdrives, wifi and bluetooth dongles, etc.
Settings -> Advanced
- Super IO Configuration: Disabled
- USB Configuration: Enable all
- Integrated Graphics Configuration
- Initiate Graphic Adapter: PEG
- IGD Multi-Monitor: Disabled
Settings -> Boot
- Boot configuration
- Boot mode select: UEFI
- Fixed boot order
- Boot option #1: UEFI USB Key
- Extreme Memory Profile (XMP): Enabled
- CPU Features
- LIMIT CPUID Maximum: Disabled
- Intel VT-D Tech: Disabled
- C1E Support: Disabled
- Format your hard drive as APFS and use GUID Partition Map.
- Your computer will reboot, when it boots to Clover select 'Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot'.
- Your computer will reboot again, now you can select 'Boot macOS from "your hard disk name"'.
- If all goes well you will boot into macOS.
- Download Clover Configurator here.
- Open Clover Convigurator, mount EFI, and mount the EFI partition on from your hard drive and from your USB stick.
- Copy your hard drives's EFI folder to your disk's EFI partition.
- Turn off your computer, unplug the USB drive and boot from your disk!
The information for this article was based on the following guides: